Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Heritage

So, here is question for you all, Do you believe that you Heritage has anything to do with the way you are now? I remember I had to do a project like this in college and I found out that I am very German. They say Germans tend to be bullheaded, outspoken, hardworking, CHEAP, and family oriented. I would have to say after the battle I had with my brother in-law this weekend over an outdated baby carrier, it was obvious that we were both stubborn Germans. This argument got so heated that his poor wife had to step in. I guess I just have been thinking about this a lot because Ross has no German in him and he is the opposite of me along with the rest of his family. I just find it amazing that we found each other and we are so right for each other. Another note that I find humorous is that all of Ross' siblings married people from German backgrounds, I think, I will have to hear from Lindsay on that. Anyway, I am just rambling on but just wondering if anyone else thinks that their ancestry has formed whom they have become.

7 comments:

everyday katie said...

I think it's hilarious that you got into a heated debate about baby carriers.

To be honest, I wouldn't know. I have so many nationalities mixed in.

Kelly said...

I am not German, Dana is, but he isn't that strong headed- well, he can be, but not like me and I'm Irish!

Lindsay Edward said...

Eh, I'd say it's a combination of many things. Your heritage probably has less to do with it than other factors. Case in point: the HUGE difference between my sister and me. We were raised in the same house and have almost polar opposite personalities. Who knows why people are the way they are?

P.S. I love that you got into a heated debate about a baby carrier. haha

Sara Emily said...

I dunno about my heritage, but my maiden name, Slack, came from the surname 'Slagg' which means 'slowly but surely.' And there's no better way to describe everyone in my family! We're slow, but we're true to what we do! I've always found that humerous.

Amanda B. said...

I am like Katie, I consider myself a "mutt"- I have German, Native American, Irish, and many others mixed in there. Very interesting thoughts! :)

Unknown said...

I would agree with Abbey to a certain extent, considering I am married to the brother-in-law in question. My husband's mother came straight over to the US as a young girl from Germany and has many qualities that Abbey has pointed out. But personalities also come into play in forming who we are so while ethnicity may have a role, it's a complex combination of factors, too :o)

Suzanne said...

Interesting question... I would say we are made up more from our surroundings and upbringing but that's not always true either because I am very different from my sisters although we get along great. I guess I have no idea!