Sunday, January 6, 2008

Goodbyes: Not for me

So yesterday I had to say goodbye to my friend Katie and her boys. I will included Spencer in that group. I would have to say it was one of the hardest goodbyes I have ever had to do. The evening was nice. I had the chance to cook them one last meal which I loved. I made one of their favorites Manicotti and Ceaser Salad. With Blondie's as a dessert. For those who know Katie, knows she is in a competition, she was a good girl and passed on the dessert. She had fresh strawberries instead. It was a very nice dinner. The best part was getting to enjoy the boys one more time in my home. I loved when they were just playing and laughing because that is the thing I want to remember most about them. I loved the fact that Parker and Reid felt so welcome to come into my home, just play and be themselves. I didnt want the evening to end but knew it would have to. I made Katie get one more picture with me even though we both were looking our finest. I promised her that I would keep that picture in hiding. We then got pictures of "Baby" Ross, Parker, and Reid toghter. Parker grabbed both their hands to hold during the picture and smiled. I will miss his energetic spirit. I cannot wait to get the pictures developed to post them. After, we got done with the pictures it was time to say goodbye. That is when my tears came. I tried to hold them back but as soon as I hugged Parker there was no way I could hold them back. It seemed just like yesterday I was rushing to the hospital to visit that little boy and now he is this big 3 year old giving me a big hug to say goodbye. Then it was onto Reid who is one the sweetest natured little boys I have ever met. I gave Katie a hug and said goodbye. I dont think she will ever know how much she helped me grow spirtual. She was such a great example to me, the light of Christ shined through her. I think that is what I am going to miss the most. Man she will be a hard visiting teaching companion to top. Anyway, I am not good at goodbyes I think it is because I never had to do it that much in my life. I wish I could be stronger but I guess it has to be normal to miss the ones who helped you so much.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

You are so sweet- I loved reading your goodbyes- I hate them too! I know that your friendship with Katie will not end just since she moved- gospel frienships are eternal, take faith in that! I know that and that helps me all the time! I love the blog, and I hope to chat with ya more often!

Lauri said...

Abbey,

let me just take a minute to thank you for your friendship with Katie. It was comforting to me knowing you were just down the street and always willing to help. You have a rare gift to be able to love other people's children and I appreciate that in you.

Like you, I hate saying goodbye. I have moved a lot in my life and that has always been one of the hardest things for me.

Thank you again for all you have done for Katie and my three little grandsons. (And thank you also Kelly and Autumn for being such good friends too.)

Lauri

Autumn said...

I agree, goodbyes aren't fun. It must have been so nice to have a friend right down the street. We'll have to do stuff more often now!